Jobs through the National Office, Berkeley CA
National Election Supervisor
Pacifica Foundation Radio is accepting
applications for the position of National Election Supervisor,
subject to the
provisions of Articles 3 and 4 of the foundation bylaws, as amended in 2011,
(bylaws are here).
We invite interested individuals to apply for this position by until it is filled.
Your application should include a resume, summary of your connections and history with
Pacifica and its elections (if any), and why you believe you would be a good fit for this position.
Primary considerations in the selection process include not only competency to handle the varied
duties (see Job Description), but also an ability to be fair and impartial, and to be perceived by different factions
and election slates to be fair and impartial.
Job Description: National Election Supervisor
Pacifica Foundation 2014
Temporary Position May 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014
Salary: $20,000, no benefits
The National Election Supervisor (NES) will supervise the 2014 Pacifica election in
accordance with the Pacifica bylaws.
The position reports to the Executive Director. The NES is responsible for overseeing and certifying
the fairness of the Delegates elections in each station area.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Work with General Managers, Program Directors and Development Directors at each station
to ensure a fair election.
- Hire and supervise Local Election Supervisors to supervise the election at each station.
- Ensure that voter lists are clean and de-duped and separated by listener and staff categories
- Prepare and maintain detailed election web pages for all 5 stations.
- Design (subject to Executive Director review), print, and mail candidate statement
pamphlets, simple voting instructions, paper ballots, including a fundraising appeal.
- Mail replacement ballots as necessary.
- Prevent ballot stuffing; verify valid ballots.
- Verify that quorum, as specified in Article 3 Section 7 of the bylaws, has been achieved in
each election by the appropriate deadline(s).
- Supervise the nomination process and "fairness" of the elections.
- Ensure that LES's coordinate and supervise candidate forums with the assistance of local
- Monitor and enforce fair campaign provisions, including processing complaints of violations.
- Ensure that LES's work with local station management to ensure adequate promotion of the
elections on air.
- Work with the Balloting and Tabulation company to design ballots and certify results of the
- Work with balloting and tabulation company to design and plan where feasible electronic
balloting, and/or portions of the process at every level, in a subset of the Pacifica electorate,
in preparation for eventual transition from primarily paper balloting to electronic balloting.
This would include dissemination of information about candidates and collection of valid
email addresses for members and use of opt-in procedures where practicable.
- Provide a written report within one month of election certification that includes reports
from each LES on elections at their stations, a summary of information to help future NES's
and LES's, a list of problems with each election and how those problems were handles, and
recommendations for improvement for the next election.
- Ability to hire and supervise LES's.
- Good writing, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of organization, planning, records management and
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and maintain effective communication with
supervisor about work progress and other important information.
- Ability to prioritize diverse tasks, meet deadlines, and hold self accountable for following
through with tasks in due time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee
to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required
by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Experience with election procedures and supervision, recommendation from an organization
experienced in election procedures and supervision preferred.
- May not be an employee, paid or unpaid, nor a Delegate, Officer or Director of the
Foundation, any Foundation radio station or any LSB.
- Must be computer literate.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of basic office management and organization.
- Knowledge of the basic principles and practices of data-management.
- Ability to work well either alone or as part of a team.
- Must be reliable, accountable, and communicative.
Email, mail or FAX resumes or inquiries to:
1925 Martin Luther King, jr. Blvd.
Berkeley, CA 94704
Email: tamika at pacifica.org. Subject line: NES Position
Please — No Phone Calls — Thank You
Pacifica is an Equal Opportunity Employer